Monday, September 7, 2009

Jeff's "new" 18-year-old bike

Well, no crashes on this morning's first ride on the '91 Merckx Corsa Extra, so that's a good start. Nobody else did and nothing broke. 3 for 3. My buddy Rob finished putting it together this weekend, so I was on it briefly yesterday to give it a little test before riding it for real on this morning's ride to Piermont. After buying the frame more than month ago and slowly collecting the components I was after, I was rather anxious to see what my patience and buck had purchased.

It was a great, smooth ride. It accelerates more quickly than my '89 Raleigh, so that's worth something. It will take me some time to get use to having STI (brake-lever) shifters, as I've been riding the Raleigh with down-tube shifters for many months now. I kept leaning down to make a shift this morning.

As you can see from the photo above, it's a rather colorful, distinctive bike (click on the photo for a larger view). As one my mechanic buddies said, they don't paint like that any more. I did get some long looks from some other older riders on steel-frames, today, including from a couple of guys who told me a couple weeks ago they wanted to buy it from me when they saw it the first time.

So, I can't complain. At this point, this is one sweet ride. My plan is to make this my weekend ride with the gang, and make my Raleigh my commuter bike.

Oh, why, you ask, do I ride old bikes? Well, if you're asking it's because you've never ridden a steel road bike or you've forgotten how it feels. It's just smooth. And this model - a professional level bike in its day - is a fraction of the cost of what the pros ride today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What no sissy bar,totally disapointed.
Welhelm (Bill) Lutz