Sunday, August 17, 2008

"Tropic Thunder": I laughed. So sue me.

(This is Mary.) For people who know me, it might come as a surprise that I would go see "Tropic Thunder." I tend to like more sophisticated humor, like Woody Allen in his prime ("Hannah and her Sisters," "Manhattan," "Annie Hall" -- though I do love "Sleeper").

But I laughed my head off during "Tropic Thunder." It's not a perfect satire, and many of the jokes misfire. But it's funny! Please, do not think less of me because I laughed at the "retard" jokes. I laughed because the joke wasn't on people with disabilities, but on those in Hollywood who think the disabled make good fodder for Oscar-worthy movies. THEY should be ashamed of themselves, not Ben Stiller for making a mockery of Hollywood excess and ego.

PC: Yes, I get it. But satire: I get that, too. It seems to be lost on many people these days, apparently (either that, or they simply haven't seen the movie). Jeff recommends you see the silly "controversy" explored on this CNN spot provided by YouTube.

If for nothing else, go see "Tropic Thunder" to watch Robert Downey, Jr. And can I just say, for the record, that I'm glad he's still alive and working? The guy is in a different league, and it's nice to see him on screen and having a good time. Let that be a lesson to all of us: It's not a crime to have a good time and laugh! (Especially when the joke's on Hollywood. I hope Ben Stiller gets another job after this ...)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I totally agree. I laughed my butt off. I felt bad about it, but I laughed my butt off.

Actually I blogged about it on my blog, She Likes to Watch. Check it out.