Saturday, August 23, 2008

Mary's back from California!

Here are a few photos from my trip; Blogger won't let me re-order them very well, so try and follow along :-). Or, watch them in a new window in an audio slideshow Jeff made and follow along with the text below.


































Monday night I enjoyed a family dinner with my father-in-law Glenn, his wife Sharon, my sister-in-law Marcia and her son Nick (Sharon is wearing the purple shirt). My sister Carolyn and her husband Ted also joined us at Glenn and Sharon's home in Paso Robles (Carolyn is in a blue top). Glenn and Sharon, thanks again for loaning me your car for the week. And Carolyn and Ted, I really enjoyed staying in your RV. Like camping, only a LOT nicer!

Tuesday I visited my friend Trisha (photo is of her younger son, Sean, sucking his finger). He's a cutie pie! Afterwards, I went to Pismo Beach and took a quick dip in the Pacific (just my feet!). Took a nice coastal drive ... photos of boats are from Morro Bay.

Tuesday evening I had the pleasure of a beer with my old pal John (also known as Mackey)--no photos to document that one, but we had a great conversation and kicked around old times at the "new" McCarthy's in San Luis Obispo.

Wednesday we celebrated my dad's 90th birthday at The Apple Farm, a SLO landmark. Photos include my dad, his wife Maryann, my brother Tom, Tom's daughter Jennifer and Jennifer's son Nolan (my great nephew).

Wednesday night was a blast, as some good friends and I gathered for a memorable dinner at Angela's home in Santa Margarita. Angela, Linda, Helen and I have been friends for many years, and our dinners are always SO much fun! Topics range from politics to doctors to books (always books!) to the latest San Luis Obispo gossip. (From left in photo, Helen in green, me, Angela, Linda)

Thursday I spent most of the day with my good friend Jen and her kids, twins Charlotte and Griffin and older son Owen (see Owen buckling the twins into their car seats). Also got to see her husband Doug for a bit--as I write this blog entry, he is readying to swim from Alcatraz to the shore. Good luck, Doug!

Thursday evening, my sister and brother-in-law and I went to the best event in SLO County: farmers' market in downtown SLO. If you want REAL BBQ, that's where you gotta go. It's really an amazing event that happens every Thursday throughout the year, except on Thanksgiving when it's held on Friday. I spent the night at Jen and Doug's (thanks for the comfy bed in the casita!), then flew back to NYC on Friday.

It was a wonderful trip, and I thank everyone for their hospitality and hugs. I love you all very much and miss you already.

1 comment:

Trisha Oksner said...

I made the blog! I made the blog! :-) Thanks again for coming out and spending so much time with Sean and me. I really enjoyed catching up and hope that next time we can see Jeff, too! (And maybe Jayden will be in a better mood...)