Monday, August 11, 2008

The Dark Side


(This is Mary.)

I just finished reading The Dark Side, by Jane Mayer.



Let me preface this by saying that the book is extremely well researched and well organized, and the writing is clear and concise.

But it was one of the most difficult books I have ever read.

Difficult, but essential.

I urge everyone within the sound of my blogging voice to read The Dark Side.

More than once, I had to stop reading for awhile to simmer down my blood pressure and/or prevent myself from throwing up--literally.

No, this isn't a vampire novel or a Stephen King best seller. It's a book about how our president and his crew managed to make torture "legal" and how and ostensibly why they have been using torture during this so-called war on terror.

If this book doesn't make you ashamed of this president and perhaps the United States, in general; if this book doesn't make you mad as hell; if this book doesn't slap you upside the head with the reality that is the Bush administration agenda of an imperialistic presidency, then you are ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL.

Wake up and read this book. Please.

No comments: