Friday, May 9, 2008

Subway reading list (by Mary)

Here is a list of books I have read in the past few weeks while riding the subway or the occasional bus, except for The Glass Castle, which I couldn't stop reading once I got home--along with a one-word commentary. Feel free to agree or disagree with my assessments.

The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls: haunting
The War of The Worlds, by H.G. Wells: thrilling
Persepolis, by Marjane Satrapi: captivating
No Country for Old Men, by Cormac McCarthy: riveting
The Road, by Cormac McCarthy: pointless
The Diary of a Young Girl, by Anne Frank: bittersweet
Slaughterhouse Five, by Kurt Vonnegut: odd
The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien: gripping
The Children of Men, by P.D. James: thought-provoking
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, by Tom Stoppard: hilarious
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams: genius
Angels in America, by Tony Kushner: inventive
The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupery: classic

My next book: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith, which has been sitting unread on the bookshelf for quite some time. I chose it because the autobiographical author of The Glass Castle, whom I came to admire somewhat from reading her book, said it's her favorite book. After that, I may revisit The Chronicles of Narnia for the fourth time.

No comments: