Saturday, April 14, 2007

Jeff on the record

Yes, I'm still unemployed but it's not for a lack of trying. I've been reluctant to get too detailed in where I've interviewed or applied for fear of jinxing myself - or somehow ruining my chances by having a potential boss read the blog. I'm going to go ahead and toss those concerns and just spell it out.

I've interviewed at three different places: Grandparents.com, Columbia Univeristy and NY Daily News. From each experience I've learned something and gained some confidence. It's nice to be considered for editing jobs, considering they are bigger jobs at bigger places than my last place of employment. That's an ego boost, for sure, and an affirmation of sorts. It would feel a whole lot nicer, of course, if one of these places offered me a job. The last potential boss at the Web site start up was very nice and has offered to shop my resume around, which is always an encouraging sign.

Other places I've applied include the New York Times, amNewYork (a free commuter daily passed out at subway stops), Newsday, NYU, The Wall Street Journal, The Village Voice, Penguin Books, Women's Health (a magazine), and a few others I'm sure I've forgotten. I keep getting compliments - "strong resume" and "love your clips" kind of comments. Each interviewer has proclaimed me a "strong candidate." Someday soon, the offer will come. Just a matter of time. There's so many jobs here and, yes, so many highly qualified seekers - but then, so am I. I'm not too discouraged, though. There's too much out there for me not to land something soon, eh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do it! I know you will land something awesome. Just remember that good things come to those who wait. And your friends and fans in the blogosphere are rooting for you!
- Trisha

Jeff Ballinger said...

Thank you for the vote of confidence, Trisha. We figure I was out of work last week so I could take care of Rachel - and sleep in her hospital room for two nights. I will spare you the details. What an ordeal for everyone.
Congrats on you good news!!! Guess you know all about waiting and the right time and all that, eh?