Wednesday, April 25, 2007

In thy light we shall see light

I'd use the Latin, but most of us don't understand it. "In lumine tuo videbimus lumen" is the Latin version of the headline above.

Why am I tossing off Latin for you in our blog today? Because that is the motto of my new place of employment - Columbia University. Yeah!!!

Beginning next Wednesday, my title will be Webmaster in the university's Public Affairs Office and the job comes with a 33% raise from my Tribune pay, 5 weeks vacation and - here's the big benefit - the university will pay half Rachel's tuition at NYU, according to the Web site. That's the equivalent of another $16,000 a year on top of my salary. It appears as if all we have to do is fill out a form and send it in and the money arrives at the university. I hope it's really that easy. The job should be fun. We're redesigning the site and taking on other sites around campus, so there should be plenty of new stuff to do and new stuff to learn.

We both feel pretty good under the circumstances. Mary found a job within two weeks of starting her job search, and I looked for just a month. Columbia was actually the first interview I went on a month ago, so I guess it was all meant to be.

6 comments:

Teresa said...

Jefffffff! Being a university webmaster is fun! Although I don't think MY job came with a 33 percent increase over the T's pay. But then, I'm bad at math.

I'm so glad you took the Columbia job! I think you'll really like it. And wow - the tuition thing!!!! Once you go to work send us all a link to your web site(s)

Hi to Mary and Rachel -- I assume Mary will be reminding us all to "Wear Sunscreen," as the great pop song suggested too.

:-) Teresa

Features staff said...

Yay! That's terrific! I'm so happy for you both.

-- Sarah Linn

jtarica said...

Wow, that is awesome. Especially the 5 weeks vacation and extra dough, but working in that setting should be pretty fun. Now you can take even more shopping trips at Macy's!

Joe

Mark Glenesk said...

AWESOME and CONGRATULATIONS to all !!

Jeff, I checked out the Columbia website. I find myself wondering what the day-to-day webmaster duties may include.
Internet communication is now the primary source for just about everyone.
All is well here. Spring is sprung here too.

Jeff and Mary said...

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone! We are really happy about how the job situation turned out, for both of us. The tuition deal still seems like a dream!

(And yes, wear an SPF 15+ sunscreen every day!)

Jeff Ballinger said...

Yes, I am confident it will be fun, too, Teresa. If you like it, I'm sure I will as well. The link to the news site is http://www.columbia.edu/cu/news/index.html. Take a look at it now and then check in again by September. We should have the redesign done and launched by then.
Thank you Sarah. Yes, Joe, indeed this means Macy's receipts will be higher on a regular basis. J Crew's as well.
Mark, my new boss wants to break news every day, which is why I had a leg up on the competition. We also have the news box on the main site (columbia.edu) and will be taking over some other sites including research and some other administrative stuff. We also want to do more multimedia and link to other university-related news from around the country. So, I'm looking forward to it very much. No profit pressures, either, which is a big break from the new biz.
Jeff